Wednesday 13 January 2016

Peace of mind for those that need it!

Today I want to show you another of my makes.
It started with a discussion on one of the Facebook Special Needs pages, a parent was really worried what might happen in the event of an accident if they where unable to talk for their child with additional needs. Would the rescue services be able to manage the child's care, understand what limitations they had?, how would they know what medication was safe to give?
It's a good question, heaven forbid it happens , but if the driver of the car wasn't able to talk for the child how would anyone know?
People mentioned the SOS bracelets you can buy, and arm bands, but for very young children they aren't really an option. They needed some visible, and obvious to rescue services. It got me to thinking........
I went to our local fire station and asked them what they thought might help (any excuse to mingle with fireman ) The general view was a strap pad with basic information on , something visible......perhaps with more information inside. I was cautious about putting too much information on the outside as if passers by saw them on a car seat or seat belt that could make an already vulnerable child even more so, so no names.......after all this was meant to help the child not endanger them.  I started with a basic proto type.

This was the first one made, it fits over the seatbelt, and has a pocket inside to add information, you can add as much as you want too, contact details, medications, list of conditions etc.......
I posted this picture on the site.............and  was inundated with questions about what amount of writing could be on there, could I add more, could the colour be changed.... and the answer was yes, everything could be changed, customised to suit..................and so it began...........I've made these in every colour I can imagine, and with varying amounts of information on the outside according to parents wishes. I've done them for adults too.
Sometimes its the simplest ideas that make the biggest impact. I also started doing tags to hang on buggies/strollers..........some parents find using a special needs buggy/stroller causes a lot of questions........why is that child not walking, are you a lazy parent. So many disabilities aren't visible and people are quick to judge others. Having a strap pad or a tag helps. It's a personal thing, I also have customers who say they don't want their child to be labelled, I get that too.........







I know these wont appeal to everyone, and I understand why, but what price peace of mind? If I could buy something to help in the event of an emergency I would...........would you???

For enquiries about these or any other of my products contact me at www.facebook.com/christined265


2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! As a grandparent of a special needs child, I am delighted to see something like this available. Need to share with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful! As a grandparent of a special needs child, I am delighted to see something like this available. Need to share with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete